(This post is sponsored by President’s Choice. I used their PC Black Label “00” Farina Fine Wheat Flour to make this Apple Walnut Cake.)
When I received this month’s box I was delighted to see 2 ingredients that I really love, flour and pizza sauce!
PC Black Label Pizza Sauce is made in Italy with a traditional blend of Italian tomatoes, spices, extra virgin olive oil and onions. It’s perfect for those weeknight meals when you want to make a quick dinner. I used the sauce to make flatbread pizza and it made a delicious base with a burst of amazing flavours.
PC Black Label “00” Farina Fine Wheat Flour is a finely milled wheat flour that is ideal for use in pizzas, pastries and pasta. This wheat flour is soft and silky and easy to work with. Also, I love using this product to make my favourite Focaccia recipe.
I was really tempted to make Pizza for this month’s recipe but decided against it as I was really curious to see how the flour would turn out in pastries. Generally I use all purpose flour for baked goods but after doing some research and testing, I decided to create a recipe with this season’s generous bounty of apples and paired them with this delicate flour into a wonderful cake.
This cake has a soft crumb with crunchy bites of walnut and sweet apples that just melt in your mouth. The flour is easy to work with and mixes well with the other ingredients. I’m glad I tried it! It looks like I have a new favourite flour to work with in the kitchen. Stay tuned for more recipes.
As we roll into the fifth month of the #PlayWithYourFood PC Black Label campaign with President’s Choice, I want to share some exciting news! President’s Choice has offered to giveaway 1 PC BLACK LABEL BLACK BOX for you to win on my Instagram account! You can win 2 delicious PC Black Label products in addition to a $50 gift card! How exciting is that? In order to enter the contest, you will need to go to my Instagram page.
The contest will run until November 22nd – 9pm EST at which time a winner will be selected randomly. Good luck! *This contest is open to Canadian residents only.
Whether you’re a home chef or an aspiring foodie, the PC Black Label Collection makes it easy to unleash your culinary curiosity and get creative. Discover the entire collection and be inspired to #PlayWithYourFood at pc.ca/blacklabel.
Apple Walnut Cake Recipe
Preheat oven to @350°F
1. In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar and softened butter and whisk until smooth and fluffy.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and continue to whisk until smooth.
3. In a small bowl whisk the flour, salt, cinnamon powder and baking powder.
4. Alternating with the cashew milk, add half the flour into the large mixing bowl and gently fold to combine. Add the second half of the milk and flour and fold gently with a spatula. Do not overmix.
5. Pour the batter into a parchment lined loaf tin.
6. Arrange the Apple slices from one of the pan to the other end keeping it in a tight row, pushing them down halfway into the batter.
7. Sprinkle with walnuts and 1 Tblsp sugar.
8. Bake at 350°F for approximately 45 minutes.
9. Let the cake completely cool on a wire rack before removing from the pan before placing on a serving dish.
10. Dust with icing sugar, if desired. Serve.