Masala French Toast for breakfast today! Simple and delicious ~ I added onions, spices, fresh cilantro, jalapeños and baby tomatoes from my garden!❤
Have you ever had savoury French toast before? It’s soo good! I’ve shared my recipe below for this upgraded version of spicy french toast!
You can add/substitute ingredients as you like, this recipe is very forgiving. I keep the additional sugar in this version to caramelize the toast and to balance out the heat from the spicy jalapeños. It’s perfect with coffee or sweet masala chai. I hope you’ll give it a try! Enjoy!
Take a photo and share it on your social media channels using the hashtag #hautesucre so I can see it!🥰
Masala French Toast RECIPE
3-4 large eggs, whisked
1/2 cup cream or milk (or a mix of the 2)
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 tsp kashmiri chili powder
1 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp sugar
Pinch of cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 jalapeños, thinly sliced or fresh red/green thai chili
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 cup baby/cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced
4-5 slices bread (any kind – I used country white loaf)
Ghee/oil for frying (to get the toast nice + crispy)
Maple syrup (for serving)
1. In a large bowl whisk the eggs and cream well, then add sugar,cinnamon powder, salt, pepper, turmeric and kashmiri chili powder.
2. Add the chopped ingredients (onions, jalapeños, tomatoes and cilantro). Set aside and heat up your frying pan/griddle.
3. Add 1 tsp of oil to your pan. Dip 1 slice of bread into the batter and flip to coat both sides every with the mixture.
4. Carefully add to the pan and cook on medium low to ensure it cooks evenly, nice and crisp. Check that it’s nice and golden before flipping to cook the other side. Add 1 tsp of oil before flipping if your pan is dry.
5. Continue cooking your toasts until the batter is done.
6. Serve with maple syrup or ketchup. Enjoy!