Kulfi is a popular frozen dairy dessert from the Indian Subcontinent, often described as traditional Indian ice cream. It is one of my favourites and evokes delicious memories of hot summers with my siblings and cousins, playing outside in the hot sun and eating cold kulfis, dribbling down our chins with happy grins.
These coveted treats were also the dessert highlight to many family dinners we attended, hoping there would be kulfi with falooda to finish off the meal. It was the perfect sweet combination of sickly sweet with the cool of the pistachio and almond cream, the essence of rose and beautiful saffron threads.
Perhaps this is where my love of desserts first started as a young child and fast forward to today, mixing cultures and recreating desserts with a French twist. Who can resist playing with their food, especially when it comes to ice cream!
I’ve always loved rhubarb and worked with it quite a bit in Paris and it just felt like a natural fit to pair it with this decadent PC Black Label Pistachio Ice Cream. It also ties in perfectly with Spring right now as I love to make desserts with available, in-season produce. It’s the perfect time to make this dessert, especially if you can get your hands on fresh rhubarb stalks this time of year. So come on, let’s play…
When I opened up this month’s PC Black Label Box I was delighted to see a selection of wonderful products.
PC Black Label Pistachio Ice Cream is an artisanal-style ice cream made with whole cream, sugar, egg yolks and pistachio paste that leaves a rich, velvety and luxurious melt-in-your-mouth experience. I was immediately drawn to this and all I could think of was kulfi and what to pair this with to make an outstanding dessert.
PC Black Label Rooibos Tea with Chai Spices is exotic with delicate notes of ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom. It’s a relaxing tea that I have enjoyed both hot and cold. It also makes a great iced tea!
PC Gorgonzola Dolce is a sweet and creamy cheese that is a milder blue cheese that makes a great addition to any cheese board for the blue cheese lovers or melted over a hot, sizzling steak this summer!
Whether you’re a home chef or an aspiring foodie, the PC Black Label Collection makes it easy to unleash your culinary curiosity and get creative. Discover the entire collection and be inspired to #PlayWithYourFood at pc.ca/blacklabel.
I hope you’ll enjoy the recipe and it becomes your favourite go-to dessert. I would love to see your recreations using the hashtag, #hautesucre on your social media channels.
I’m excited to be hosting a giveaway for next month’s PC Black Label Collection Black Box on my Instagram feed. Read on for more information and how to enter below. Good Luck!
*PC Black Label Collection June Black Box Instagram Giveaway*
Giveaway details will be posted on my Instagram account @hautesucre. Head on over to find the post of this Pistachio & Rhubarb Kulfi to enter via the Instagram comments.
- The giveaway will be open for entries on Instagram from Monday May 21, 2018 to Thursday May 24, 2018 11:59PM EST. Please follow the instructions in the Instagram post to enter.
- The winner will be chosen randomly on the morning of Friday May 25, 2018 and contacted via Instagram direct message.
- The giveaway is open to residents of Canada only.
Pistachio & Rhubarb Kulfi Recipe
Makes 6-8 servings
500 mL PC BLACK LABEL PISTACHIO ICE CREAM
2 cups Rhubarb Compote (see recipe below)
1/2 cup sliced pistachios, PC Salted, Dry Roasted California Pistachios
1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 tsp (divided) PC BLACK LABEL SAFFRON THREADS SPICE
1/2 tsp cardamom powder (optional)
6-8 small glass dessert bowls
Makes 2 cups
4-5 stalks of rhubarb, washed, trimmed, chopped
1 cup sugar
1/8 cup water
pinch of salt
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground vanilla bean
- In a small saucepan, add the rhubarb, sugar, water, salt, ground cinnamon and vanilla bean.
- Mix to combine and cook on medium low for approximately 20 minutes, until it has reduced and slightly thickened.
- Transfer to a heatproof dish and allow it to come to room temperature. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Great on ice creams, crepes, waffles and pancakes. Enjoy!
Pistachio & Rhubarb Kulfi
- Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the rhubarb compote mixture into the base of each bowl and sprinkle a few almonds and pistachios over top.
- Scoop the ice cream into each bowl and sprinkle with remaining almonds, pistachios, a few threads of saffron, and a pinch of cardamom powder.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes until the ice cream has slightly softened and serve. Enjoy!
(This post is sponsored by President’s Choice. I used their PC Black Label Pistachio Ice Cream to to make this delicious Pistachio and Rhubarb Kulfi)
2 thoughts on “Pistachio & Rhubarb Kulfi”
Think I’ll love this blend of flavors! Super curious to give it a try.
LikeLiked by 1 person
That’s great, let me know if you try it!