Eggplant – Bangan Bharta
1 medium sized onion, diced
8 baby tomatoes or 1 large tomato, diced
1 tsp garlic minced (or less to taste)
1 green chilli thinly sliced (or more to taste)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp red pepper
1/2 tsp brown sugar
3 tsp fresh coriander for garnish (or 1 tsp minced if available)
1. Make slits in eggplant all around and cover completely in aluminum foil. Roast eggplant in oven at 450 degrees F for 45 min or until charred. Set aside and let cool.
2. Heat oil in medium size pot, add onions until translucent and cooked through. Add green chilli and continue to sautee until golden brown. Add garlic and cook for 2 more min.
3. Add in diced tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes. Add all dry spices and brown sugar and cook 5 min more.
4. Scrape out eggplant and add to onion & tomato mixture. Cook uncovered for approx. 10 min.
5. When eggplant is fully mixed with the onions, tomatoes and spices, cover and cook for a further 15 min. Remove lid and add coriander and cook further 5 min until you achieve your desired consistency.
2 thoughts on “Smoky Eggplant – Banghan Bharta”
Great minds think alike! I had some requests to post the recipe. Just recorded it! Sounds so delicious
Khaanasutra of Indian Cuisine