Banana Cake with Walnuts, Coconut and Chocolate Recipe
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 large organic free range eggs
1/4 tsp fleur de sel *sea salt
1/2 tsp ground vanilla bean
3 large ripe bananas
2 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup dark chocolate
1 cup walnuts
1 cup shredded coconut
1 large banana, sliced thinly lengthwise
2 tbsp raw turbinado sugar
1. Whisk the butter and sugar until doubled in volume and light and fluffy in texture.
2. Add the eggs and beat on high speed for 4 minutes.
3. Add the salt, vanilla bean and bananas and mix on low speed for 30 seconds until the bananas are mashed.
4. Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, chocolate, walnuts and shredded coconut. Mix/fold gently on low speed for 30 seconds until everything is combined and no more flour is visible. Do not overmix.
5. Divide the batter into 2 baking loaf tins and smooth the tops.
6. Arrange the sliced bananas on top of each loaf and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon raw sugar over top.
7. Bake at 375°F for 45 minutes until the centre comes clean.
8. Let cool in tins for 10 minutes before gently removing onto a wire rack to completely cool. Sprinkle with icing sugar and slice with a sharp knife.