(This post is sponsored by President’s Choice. I used their PC Black Label Toasted Sesame Caramel Dessert Sauce to make this Dark Chocolate Tart).
Chocolate is one of my favourite ingredients to bake with and this deliciously easy tart is no exception. I used dark chocolate as it pairs amazingly well with the Toasted Sesame Caramel Dessert Sauce from #PresidentsChoice.
When I received this month’s box I was delighted to see 2 ingredients that I really love, which are Passion fruit and Caramel. The PC Black Label Passion Fruit Condiment is quite heavenly in the sense that it works well as a vinaigrette poured onto salad or glazed on your BBQ shrimp.
The Toasted Sesame Caramel Dessert Sauce is the perfect consistency of a runny caramel speckled with flecks of toasted sesame seeds (genius!) and pairs well with so many desserts including pouring it on your favorite ice cream, spread on crepes and my personal favourite used as a filling for a dark chocolate tart.
When I opened jar of toasted sesame caramel, I was amazed how smooth the texture was and the right amount of sesame. Instantaneously, a thought of a traditional chocolate tart with caramel center emerged and I became challenged to make a tart that would compliment the sesame flavor. The idea of using dark chocolate was my first option as it is not overly sweet and would complement the sweet caramel. The toasted sesame hardly gets the attention it deserves as it flavor is not overbearing. The caramel sauce inspired me to decorate the tart with a hard set caramel, but can be served on its own or dusted with cocoa powder.
Another suggestion if your willing to take a chance is to add espresso and cinnamon to the tart mixture. I have fond memories of travelling through Italy and being served a dark chocolate square with my shot of espresso. The espresso’s bitterness is followed by a sweet but not having the fatty texture of milk chocolate to remove the after taste of the espresso. In this recipe, I have added both ingredients.
As we roll into the second month of #PlayWithYourFood #PCBlackLabel campaign with #PresidentsChoice, I want to share some exciting news! President’s Choice has offered to giveaway a #PCBLACKLABEL BLACK BOX for you to win on my Instagram account! You can win 2 delicious #PCBlackLabel products in addition to a $50 gift card! How exciting is that? In order to enter the contest, you will need to go to my Instagram page.
The contest will run until June 28th at which time a winner will be selected randomly. Good luck! *This contest is open to Canadian residents only.
Whether you’re a home chef or an aspiring foodie, the PC Black Label Collection makes it easy to unleash your culinary curiosity and get creative. Discover the entire collection and be inspired to #PlayWithYourFood at pc.ca/blacklabel.
DARK CHOCOLATE TART WITH TOASTED SESAME CARAMEL RECIPE
* This recipe makes enough for a standard 8 to 9 inch round tart pan.
It’s important to use a spring form pan (or tart ring) with a removal base for easy baking and removal of the tart and source out high quality ingredients as it produces the best flavours and will quickly get noticed by your guests.
The steps are very straightforward and relatively easy to put together. Just be sure to chill the tart dough until its firm enough for you to roll out. Once it’s baked, be sure it is completely cooled before adding the caramel sauce. Finally, another important note is to ensure that the caramel is hardened (slightly) or really cold before adding the layer of chocolate ganache otherwise the chocolate will mix into the caramel.
1 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp fleur de sel or kosher salt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of baking powder
Pinch of ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground espresso
Chocolate Ganache (Recipe below)
1 jar of PC BLACK LABEL Toasted Sesame Caramel Dessert Sauce
- Whisk all the ingredients in a large bowl and set aside.
- Chop the butter and add it to the flour bowl mixture, crumbling it into the flour making pea sized crumbs.
- Work the ingredients quickly until they come together creating a pliable dough. Do not over mix, you should still see little pats of butter throughout.
- Shape the dough into a disk and flatten
- Wrap with plastic wrap and chill until ready to use.
1 cup cold whipping cream
2 cups dark chocolate, chopped
- In a microwave safe bowl, warm the cream until just boiling – about 1-2 minutes, depending on your microwave.
- Carefully remove and add the chopped chocolate.
- Let it sit for 1 minute.
- Whisk gently until incorporated and set aside.
Bake the Tart:
Preheat oven to 375°F
Butter an 8″ or 9″ spring form pan or tart ring and set aside.
- On a floured work surface, roll out the dough to 1″ thickness and line the tart ring or pan. Ensure you bring up the dough on the sides that’s deep enough to hold the caramel filling and the chocolate ganache, approximately 2-3 inches in height.
- Use a fork and gently indent the dough all over to create tiny little holes.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until cooked through.
- With the back of a spoon, push down the base of the tart to ensure it is flat and no holes remain (they should be baked through).
- Let the tart shell cool completely.
- Pour the caramel in an even layer in the tart base and refrigerate or freeze until set and it’s no longer runny.
- Once chilled completely, remove and pour the chocolate ganache over top the caramel and smooth out with a spatula quickly as it will start immediately.
- Return to the refrigerator until completely set.
- Remove 20 minutes before serving and use a hot knife to slice through the tart. Rinse the knife and repeat. This ensures you get clean slices each time you cut into it.
If you make this recipe please share and use my hashtag, #hautesucre on the social media channels, as I would love to see them!
(This post is sponsored by President’s Choice. I used their PC Black Label Toasted Sesame Caramel Dessert Sauce to make this easy Dark Chocolate Tart.)
4 thoughts on “Dark Chocolate Tart with Toasted Sesame Caramel”
This looks amazing, not your ordinary dessert here, but something perfect.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I agree, this is a truly fancy professional looking desert, I don’t even know if I can make it look that good haha but it sure looks good, so I’ll give it a try!
LikeLiked by 1 person
I’m sure you can do it! Let me know how it goes 😊